The Home Retro Program is a grant provided through a collaborative agreement between Alpha One and the Maine State Housing Authority. It provides up to $10,000 to qualifying Maine homeowners to make modifications for a disabled resident. This program assists eligible individuals with disabilities living in a single-family home to overcome substantial barriers to functioning independently in their home.
- Own their residence and have a person with a physical disability living in their home. (This includes children);
- Meet the financial eligibility requirements set by the Maine State Housing Authority (80% of median income for their county);
- Use 75% of the funds for accessibility rehabs which will improve the quality of life of the disabled resident with a focus on health and safety, 25% of the total expenses for access may be used for home repair; and
- Property must have indoor plumbing and if a mobile home, have been built after 6/15/76.
Grant funds are available for such modifications as:
- Widening doorways
- Adding a roll in shower and fold down seat
- Building a ramp
- Remodeling a kitchen, bathroom or bedroom
- Repairing a roof
- Replacing windows
This program is first come, first served and a waiting list will be established once the quota of eligible applicants has been met. For further information, contact the Home Retro point person at Alpha One.