What is Aging in Place?
Aging in place means remaining in one’s home safely, independently, and comfortably, regardless of age, income, or ability level.
To age-in-place you may need to modify your home as you mature to improve accessibility. These modifications range from the installation of bath and shower grab bars and adjustment of countertop heights to the installation of private elevators.
What is CAPS?
A Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) has been trained in:
- the unique needs of the older population
- aging-in-place home modifications
- common remodeling projects
- solutions to common barriers
Things to Consider
- Do I want to add a bathroom and
possibly a bedroom to the main level?
- How can I make my kitchen more functional?
- Am I worried about preventing falls?
- Will other members of my family benefits from the modifications?
- Where do I find information for funding a project?
When you hire a CAPS professional, you are buying a service rather than a product. You may need to hire a professional remodeler to make the modification to your home.